March 26, 2017Sports
46° Mostly Cloudy
By Colin MurphyThe 10U Lake Shore boys basketball team emphatically punctuated its season on March 4 with a 45-17 victory over Broadneck to finish the year 9-2 overall and win the county’s 10U B1 Division championship.
Lake Shore’s winter finale — its biggest scoring output and largest margin...
By AnonymousThe 2016/2017 Green Hornets 8/9 boys basketball season concluded on Saturday, February 25, at Folger McKinsey Elementary School. For playoffs, the league was divided into two playoff brackets, an A and a B bracket, based on regular season records.
In a tough, defensive battle in the A bracket...
By Colin MurphyIf you need a reminder on how to maintain perspective in life, or if you want to know how to face adversity with a mentality of unchecked strength, or if you simply want to soak up the positive vibes of a person for whom optimism and enthusiasm are the only paths to take, talk to Chesapeake senior...
- Photo by Colin MurphyChesapeake’s Kara Blanchard has maintained a positive outlook despite her recent diagnosis with multiple sclerosis. “Whatever God throws at me, I’m good. I’m just going to stay playing sports and chasing my dreams. I’m not going to let it stop me,” she said. The team is hosting an MS awareness game against Glen Burnie on January 17, and attendees are encouraged to wear orange in support.
- Photo by Colin MurphyThe Severna Park girls basketball team wore orange shoelaces in support of Chesapeake's Kara Blanchard (front row fourth from left), who was recently diagnosed with multiple sclerosis. The Cougars will host an MS Awareness night for their January 17 home game against Glen Burnie at 6:45.
- Photo by Colin Murphy
By Colin MurphyFirst Team:
- Photo by Colin MurphyChesapeake's Christine Parkent and Severna Park's Ellie Schepens, among others, were named Coaches All County first-teamers.
Jenna Partilla, Arundel, senior
Megan Munley, Broadneck, sophomore
Rachel Fleig, Chesapeake, sophomore
Sarah King, South River, senior
Sophia Hartman, Broadneck, sophomore
McKenna Lee, Severna Park, senior
Madison Downey, Old Mill, senior
- Photo by Colin Murphy
By Colin MurphyCoaches All-County Boys Soccer 2016
Tommy Magorka, SR, F/MF
Trevor Wiggins, SR, D
John Vasquez, SR, F
Greg Adams, SR, F
Andrew Colebrook, JR, F...
By Colin Murphy2016 Coaches All-County Selections: Girls Soccer
Tessa Rendina, 12, F
Hailey Small, 12, M/D
Maddie Bragaw, 12, M
Madison Turner, 12, F
Tara Dedrickson, 12, M
Megan Shacklock, 12, F/M
Kinlee Bruns, 11, M
Ally Fox, 12, M
Alessandra Gargano, 12, M
Paige Orbell, 12, F/M
Sarah Gellert, 11. F
Jordan Brady, 12, F
Cameron Mangold, 11, DF
Erica Hill, 12, M
Shannon Parness, 11, M
Arundel: Sabrina Doherty,12
Broadneck: Maura Dawson, 11
Molly Murname, 10,...
By Colin Murphy
Chloe Nagel's late second-half goal brought the Severna Park girls soccer team level with Severn 3-3. Her goal moments later secured the Falcons' 4-3 win over the Admirals. Sarah Gellert and Jenna Farrell also scored for Severna Park, while Michelle Money had two goals and Eileen Doherty scored for Severn.
By Colin MurphyCheck out a few highlights of Broadneck's 36-12 win over South River on Friday night:
Shane Davis pass over the middle to Robert SchwobTyler Vermillion runJason Carcamo run
By Colin MurphyFour goals by Sophia Facciponti, two goals and an assist by Peyton Baldwin, a score by Lauren Peters and 12 saves by Caitlin Alperstein helped power the BAYS Middie B girls lacrosse team to a 7-6 victory over Severna Park in the Anne Arundel County Middie B division championship game at Northeast...
By Colin MurphyIn a county replete with massive youth sports organizations such as Crofton, GORC, BAYS and of course the Green Hornets, the player pools are deep and the teams are strong in every sport.
- St. John the Evangelist's sixth-grade girls lacrosse team went 5-3-1 and made the playoffs in the county's Middie A division.
- St. John the Evangelist's fifth-grade girls lacrosse team went 4-4-2 and made the playoffs in the county's Middie B division.
- St. John the Evangelist's third-grade girls lacrosse team enjoyed a season of development and teamwork as the program continues to field competitive teams despite the school's small student population.
Competition is thus always fierce, but that hasn’t stopped the St. John the Evangelist’s girls...
By Colin MurphyThe Severna Park U10 Galaxy girls soccer team attended the Washington Spirit vs. Portland Thorns women’s professional soccer match on May 7 at the Maryland Soccerplex outside of Rockville. The Galaxy participated in a halftime scrimmage on the main field in front of the 4,333 fans in...
- The Severna Park U10 Galaxy girls soccer team attended the Washington Spirit vs. Portland Thorns women’s professional soccer match on May 7 at the Maryland Soccerplex outside of Rockville and played a scrimmage on the pitch at halftime. US Women's National team members Tobin Heath, Crystal Dunn and Lindsay Horan were the main attractions in the professional matchup, giving the Galaxy Girls an up-close soccer experience with the country's best.
By Colin MurphyThe Annapolis Area Christian School girls lacrosse team defeated St. Timothy’s 15-10 at Archbishop Spalding High School on May 14 to complete a 16-0 season and win the Interscholastic Athletic Association of Maryland C Conference championship for the second year in a row. Five goals each by...
- Photo courtesy of Annapolis Area Christian SchoolThe Annapolis Area Christian School girls lacrosse team won its second consecutive Interscholastic Athletic Association of Maryland C Conference championship on May 14, defeating St. Timothy’s 15-10 at Archbishop Spalding High School.
- Photo courtesy of Annapolis Area Christian School
By Colin MurphyOn May 16, the Archbishop Spalding softball team defeated Mount de Sales 3-1 at Bachman Park to win the Interscholastic Athletic Association of Maryland A Conference championship for the second straight year.
Wins over Mercy and Seton Keough preceded the Cavaliers’ championship win over Mt....
By Colin MurphyIt took two tries, but the Archbishop Spalding baseball team is once again champion of the Maryland Interscholastic Athletic Association A Conference.
- Photo courtesy of Cathy HuntThe Cavaliers defeated Gilman 5-3 on May 25 to win the program's third straight Maryland Interscholastic Athletic Association A Conference championship and fourth overall.
The Cavaliers successfully defended their championship, winning a third consecutive conference title on May 25 at Loyola Blakefield in Baltimore by...
- Photo courtesy of Cathy Hunt
By Colin MurphySevern School senior Eric Hall made eight birdies and shot a 5-under-par 68 at Woodholme Country Club in Pikesville on April 27 to win the Maryland Interscholastic Athletic Association championship with a record 36-hole score of 135.
- Photo courtesy of Severn SchoolSevern's Eric Hall with coach Chris Haskins following Hall's record two-day score of 135 won him the MIAA championship.
Hall’s 10-under-par 135 began with a 67 on April 26 at...
- Photo courtesy of Severn School
By Katie DeFeoFour years ago this May, the Severna Park High School girls lacrosse team won the MPSSAA Class 4A state championship thanks in part to the immense contributions of then-junior midfielder Morgan Torggler and then-sophomore goalkeeper Rachel Vander Kolk. Now, the two are playing collegiate lacrosse...
- Photo courtesy of University of Maryland AthleticsAfter scoring in bunches as a top attack player on multiple Severna Park state championship teams, Morgan Torggler is a now a junior defender for the two-time defending national champion and undefeated, No. 1-ranked Maryland Terrapins.
- Photo courtesy of University of Maryland Athletics
By Dave ToppAnnapolis Area Christian School’s Justin Williams got the shot he wanted. All game long the senior standout found success getting to the basket against St. John’s Catholic Prep and converting for his team.
His final attempt was just off the mark. ...
By Colin MurphySouth River wins first-ever girls swimming county championship, Falcons and Bruins post solid performances
South River has had enough of the county swimming season being a two-horse race between Severna Park and Broadneck.
The Seahawks emphatically took control of the county championship meet at...
By Colin MurphyAnnapolis Area Christian School, Severn and Indian Creek all have plans—and legitimate hopes—to bring the conference championship back to Anne Arundel County.
- Photo by Colin A.J. MurphyJustin Williams' 22.2 points per game leads all county players and has helped the Eagles to a 13-2 conference record in the Maryland Interscholastic Athletic Association B Conference.
If Indian Creek’s 67-64, triple-overtime victory over Severn on February 1 is any indication, the fight for the...
- Photo by Colin A.J. Murphy
By Colin MurphyThe Arden/API Diamondbacks 2022 boys lacrosse team, comprising players primarily from the Severna Park and Crofton areas, finished in second place in the 2015 Dick’s Sporting Goods Tournament of Champions, a national lacrosse event, in Tampa, Florida over the holiday break. Competing in a 14-...
- Photo courtesy of Karen FoxThe Arden Diamondbacks 2022 boys lacrosse team went 8-1 at the Dick’s Sporting Goods Tournament of Champions in Tampa, Florida, over the holiday break.
- Photo courtesy of Karen Fox
By Colin MurphyThe Spalding field hockey team defeated McDonogh 3-1 at Stevenson University on November 1 to win the program’s second Interscholastic Athletic Association of Maryland A Conference championship. The Cavaliers finished the season undefeated at 17-0-1. The 2015 IAAM A Conference champion...